entitled „From the past of the Hospital Colentina”,
the today’s clinical Hospital Colentina, offers the current dates about the rich history
of this hospital establishment. We mention that it has an exquisite importance
in the medical assistance, medical education and scientific research and
contribute to the general effort to develop the medical sciences in Romania.
in 1858 as „The New Pantelimon”, the building was finished just at the end year
1863 and the inauguration was made in 24 January 1864, when it take place the
celebration of five years from the principalities union.
beginnind of the work, the Hospital Colentina is presented in the nineteenth
century, with the physicians, building and reorganizations that took place,
the Infections Diseases, with emphasizing the guarantee of this unites to get in
the most century the beginning of an authentic medical school.
twentieth century, appears the clinics of Neurology ,Surgery, Internal Medicine,
Dermatology, Occupational Diseases, Orthopedics, as well as the actual
reorganization of the Infectios Diseases under the name „The Institute of
Infections Diseases Matei Balº”.
opportunity, is was as evidences many renowned personalities of the medical
field, wich have enhanced the prestige of the Hospital Colentina, through their
passion for an intense professional, didactic and scientific activity, working
out elaboration with distinct value. Thus, the great neurologist, the Professor dr.
Gheorghe Marinescu, together with his work staff (collective) founded a
Neurology Medical School, acquainted and appreciate in the scientific circles
from the entire world. The surgical activity of the Colentina was represented on
national and international plane by the Professor dr. Constantin Dumitrescu
Severeanu which work at Colentina in the nineteenth century, before the
transfer at the Coltea Hospital, where he made a surgery school, as well as by
the „agregate” Professor dr. Iancu Jianu, which transferred in the twentieth
century-service in the „Clinical surgery Institute” which he managed two decades
and in which he approached as pioneer the plastic surgery of national and
international level (rhinoplasty, palatoplasty, urethroplasty, esophagusplasty),
with tissue flop, as well as vascular graft, the neurovegetative surgery and sum
problems about the cardiovascular surgery.
school was that of the Medical Clinic of Colentina guided by the Academician
Professor dr. Nicolae Gh. Lupu, which become in year 1949 „The Institute
Medicine N. Ghe. Lupu”, the first of this kind from the country, dedicated to the
hematology, kidney and liver morpho and physiopathology, pneumoconioses,
pulmonary scleroses, hypertonics diseases, and reumatismal diseases.
1966, the activity of this Institute was continuated by Professor dr. Ion Emil
Bruckner, then by the Professor dr. Simion Purice and in present by the Professor
dr. Ion Matei, with concerns for the connective tissue diseases, imun pathology
and malignent hemopaties. Regarding the dermato-venerological school of
Colentina, this was represented by distinct personalities, between this the
Academician Stefan Ghe. Nicolau that guided the Dermatologic Centre of the
Health Ministry as well as by the Professors: Stefan Teodorescu, Aurel Conu,
Alexandru Colþoiu, and others.
second half of the twentieth century, the Hospital Colentina, represented a
medical school for the Ocupational Diseases performed by the
Professors: Gheorghe Dinischiotu, Petru Manu, Toma Niculescu and others, that
made studie son saturnism, silicosis, pneumoconioses, poisonings with organic
solvents, poisonings with gases and toxic vaporous, professional asthma etc. In
the second half the twentieth century too, was assorted the Orthopedics, guided
by the dr. Dimitrie Pintilie, which was performed an orthopedics school, without
being teacher: this school was continued by the lecturer dr. Clement Baciu.
frame of the hospital complex, worked the today’s Infections Diseases Institute
„Matei Bals”. It is worth to notice that in year 1954, the Infections Diseases
school from Colentina was „The Infections Diseases Colentina” with remarkable
medical peronalities as the Professor Matei Bals, Marin Voiculescu, Silvia Bruchner, Alexandru Duminica, Florin Caruntu, Mircea Angelescu, and many others
year, the Hospital Colentina presented a succession of reorganizations and
temporary working services as Urology with Professor Nicolae Hortolomei.
clinical stomatology Institute the Professor Dan Teodorescu, the child and
orthopedic surgery with the Professor Alexandru Cosacesu, endocrinology with
Stefan Milcu and others. At the same time, near by unification and disunification,
it took place the unification with ambulatory network represented by polyclinic
health unit with the special service, the sanitary circuit and the stomatology
presented work, it emerges that the medical school of Colentina, the today`s
Clinical Hospital Colentina, has had many priorities in the field of medical sciences and
education, as well as in the scientific research, contributing to the assert of
romanian medical science of national and international plane.